18868 people viewed Northpark - San Diego, CA 92104 in the last 30 days.
Amist trendy boutiques, “foodie-approved” eateries, speciality cocktails, local handcrafted brews and art galleries-the electric neighboorhood of Northpark is set in scene with turn of the century craftsman bungalows and an architectural glimpse into the Dryden Historic District.
Definietly a diverse and tight knit community, you will find many restaurants with open doors to pets and the popular local Farmers’ Market every Thursdays feeding up anything from ‘honest-prepared foods’ to local sea urchins. On the 2nd Saturday of every month, the community hosts an artwalk, ‘Ray at Night,’ which features a gathering of many up-and-coming local artists. If that isn’t enough condensed adventure in one area, the neighboorhood is also cradled among beautiful Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo.
In the summer of 1893, San Diego merchant Joseph Nash sold 40 acres (16 ha) of land northeast of Balboa Park to James Monroe Hartley, who wished to develop a lemon grove. The Hartley family began the arduous process of clearing the land to prepare the earth for the grove, but providing the fledgling trees with proper irrigation was always a problem. Barrels of water had to be hauled from downtown San Diego up a wagon trail that would eventually be called Pershing Drive.
As the growth of San Diego eventually caught up with the original Hartley lemon grove, it eventually became roughly bordered by Ray Street to the west, 32nd Street to the east, University Avenue to the north and Dwight Street to the south. Hartley deemed his area “Hartley’s North Park” – and years later, the name evidently stuck as the City of San Diego referred to the new suburb as “North Park.”
In 1911, Hartley’s eldest son, Jack, and a relative (brother-in-law William Jay Stevens) developed the plot into one of San Diego’s first residential and commercial districts. After first establishing “Stevens & Hartley”, North Park’s first real estate firm, in 1905, Jack and William built North Park’s first “high rise” commercial building, the Stevens building, on the northwest corner of 30th Street and University Avenue (today’s “Western Dental” building) in 1912. “Thirtieth & University” became North Park’s symbolic place name – and within 10 years, this became the heart of the community.
Later in the 1910s, North Park became one of the many San Diego neighborhoods connected by the Class 1 streetcars and an extensive San Diego public transit system that was spurred by the Panama-California Exposition of 1915 and built by John D. Spreckels. These streetcars became a fixture of this neighborhood until their retirement in 1939.
North Park was the site of the crash of PSA Flight 182, California’s deadliest aviation accident to date.